Strawberry cream cheese sandwiched between two slices of keto French toast then drizzled with a strawberry compote and a big ol’ dollop of whipped cream. Can you say, “YUM?!”
The base of this recipe uses a creation by @keto.sam.iam who made this as her famous egg loaf. Since then people have made many variations, one of which fries the loaf slices in butter or oil to make French toast. Egg by itself is absolutely delicious so I’d recommend making a batch if you’ve never encountered it before.
Traditional stuffed French toast typically uses large slices of bread which would have a small pocket cut into it and stuffed with filling. I find the egg loaf is a little too delicate so I prefer to cook the slices beforehand and just sandwich the filling between two pieces. Less messy, but just as delicious.
I used strawberry as my fruit ingredient but you could use blueberries or even raspberries. I just like the bright red color of the strawberries, and I enhanced it a bit with food coloring (which you could skip).
So make a big batch of egg loaf (you’ll thank me) and treat yourself to this decadent keto stuffed French toast for brunch or a special morning meal.
Keto Stuffed French Toast
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 tbsp butter softened
- 8 eggs
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of powdered sweetener
- 1 tsp baking powder
- additional egg for egg wash
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
- 24 oz strawberries
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener
- sprinkle konjac flour xantham gum also works
- red food coloring optional
- 12 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl or blender, combine all of the ingredients for the egg loaf and mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a bread pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Slice into bread sized pieces.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 of the chopped strawberries and water over medium heat (reserving 1/4 for garnish). Cook until strawberries are softened (5 min).
- Add sweetener, konjac flour and 4 drops of red food coloring and stir for about a minute.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth and let cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese & butter until smooth
- Add the sweetener and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy
- Combine fruit puree to cream cheese until desired color. Reserve some puree for candied berries.
Assemble French Toast
- Dip sliced bread into egg wash and fry in a buttered pan until golden brown
- Spread cream cheese filling between two slices with sliced strawberries
- Top with additional berries coated in puree and a dollop of whipped cream.