A bright citrusy classic made low carb with these keto lemon bars. There’s no better way to welcome the summer days than with this lemony delight.
Lemon is a strange little fruit. By itself it’s bitter and tangy, but it brightens the flavor of anything you marry it with. Of course, if those other ingredients are butter and sugar, you get a delightful dessert that first wakes the tastebuds and then has a rich aftertaste.
In all honesty, citrus fruits are not my first choice for a dessert. I am more a fan of the creamy desserts like coconut cream or custards. But you can only have so much of those before you have a craving for something different. Lemon will certainly shakes things up!
A bright citrusy classic made low carb
The great thing about this recipe is how few ingredients it needs and how easy it is to make. Butter, almond flour, lemon, eggs and sweetener… that’s it. And they come out perfect every time! You just bake the crust, pour the filling over, and finish in the oven. In about an hour you’ll have a sweet & tart dessert that both keto and non-keto alike will enjoy.
The recipe below makes enough keto lemon bars for a small get-together or to share with your friends and family. It will make about sixteen bars which is plenty for sharing. Of course, another option would be to stash some away in the freezer so you can grab one of these guys when you need a quick treat.
I like to store these in the fridge so that the cold temperature adds to the lemony punch. It’s a great way to amp up the effect. Moreover, the erythritol also has a cooling effect, so I find it’s a double whammy. They keep well for about a week and I’d suggest dusting the powder sweetener right before serving. A couple thinly sliced lemon wedges placed on top also add to a beautiful presentation.
Keto Lemon Bars
- 1 cup butter melted
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup powdered erythritol
- 6 large lemons
- 6 large eggs
- 1¼ cups powdered erythritol
- 1½ cups almond flour
- Mix melted butter, almond flour, erythritol, and a pinch of salt. Press evenly into an 8×16″ parchment paper-lined baking dish or pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Into a medium bowl, zest two lemons. Juice all 6 lemons then add the eggs, erythritol, almond flour & pinch of salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the filling onto the crust and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes.
- Dust additional powdered erythritol over the top before serving.