A keto friendly coffee cake with all the flavors of fall. A spiced coffee cheesecake layered between pumpkin puree cake and topped with cinnamon streusel.
It isn’t the cooler weather, falling leaves or Halloween decorations that signal the presence of fall, the true hallmark of the season is pumpkin spice! These familiar fall flavors and creamy pumpkin mouthfeel is what I was seeking when creating this keto pumpkin spice coffee cake. It’s the perfect accompaniment to curl up with a hot latte and an oversized blanket.
I had noticed my local Sprouts Farmers Market carrying a limited seasonal Pumpkin Spice Ground coffee and wanted to incorporate the warm flavors into a keto friendly dessert. This coffee cake is neither overly sweet or overpowering, so it pairs well with a freshly brewed pumpkin spice coffee as well! I used the Sprouts brand Pumpkin Spice Ground coffee to infuse its flavors into a cream cheese layer. This gives the cake a hint of coffee while the pumpkin puree and cinnamon topping pull in the rest of the familiar notes. The crunchy streusel topping is certainly my favorite part as it gives the cake additional texture and punch of sweetness. So the question is, coffee and cake or just the pumpkin spice coffee on its own? I say both!
Those that know me, know that I love coffee, so I have various ways of making it… espresso being my favorite. Now an espresso maker is not a commonly available kitchen appliance, so making a concentrated shot of coffee needed to be accessible. Enter the Aeropress. If you’ve never heard of this device, it’s a great little brewer. It goes for about $30 and is easily one of the most flexible coffee brewers out there. It’s great for traveling and will make a better cup of coffee than most home coffee machines. It’s also very forgiving with pre-ground coffee, which makes it the perfect option here. You can certainly brew your coffee with your traditional method, though, I would suggest using a larger amount of coffee to get the concentration needed for flavor.
Keto Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 whole eggs
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup Erythritol
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ⅓ cup Confectioners Erythritol
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ oz Sprouts Pumpkin Spice Coffee concentrated (see note below)
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- ½ cup Pecans chopped
- ⅓ cup Brown Erythritol
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9-inch square cake pan with parchment paper. Set Aside
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin puree, heavy cream, erythritol and vanilla extract. Combine with the dry ingredients and mix.
Coffee Cheesecake Layer
- In a bowl, add the softened cream cheese and beat with the erythritol.
- Add the egg, concentrated coffee & vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- Add almond flour, pecans, cinnamon, and Brown Erythritol into a mixing bowl and mix. Pour the melted butter over the top and mix until well combined.
Assemble the Cake
- Using a spatula, spread half the pumpkin batter into your parchment lined cake pan.
- Next, pour the cream cheese mixture over the bottom cake layer and spread evenly.
- Add the remaining pumpkin cake batter and gently smooth over.
- Sprinkle the streusel crumb topping over the cake and press into the batter gently.
- Place the cake pan on the center rack of your oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick, it should come out mostly clean of batter. Let cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.
- 30 g Sprouts Pumpkin Spice ground coffee
- 100 ml hot water (200º Fahrenheit)
- Place 30 grams of ground coffee into an AeroPress
- Starting your timer, pour 100 grams of hot water over coffee, stir rapidly until the timer reaches 20 seconds
- At 1:00, flip and plunge for 20 seconds into your clean cup. Let cool completely.