A multi-layered espresso soaked cake with a cocoa dusted marscapone cream topped with a scoop of coffee ice cream. Undoubtedly this keto tiramisu ice cream sundae is a coffee lover’s dream.
Every morning the first thing I do is make myself a hot cappuccino. The immense pleasure from a well pulled shot combined with frothed almond milk is the highlight of my morning. So I decided if I wanted that same experience in a sweet treat, I’d would make this keto tiramisu ice cream sundae.
The coffee soaked cake, marscopone cheese and ice cream is a wonderful combination of flavors, textures, and chocolaty richness. What’s more is that’s easy to prepare and lasts about a week in your fridge for dessert every day of the week! Eat it on its own or top with a scoop of your favorite keto ice cream. I opted to use a scoop of Enlightened Keto Coffee & Cream Ice Cream because you can never have enough coffee, am I right?! I find it at my local Sprouts Market where they have a variety of keto friendly ice creams and also everything else you would need to make this dessert.
A few tips on preparing the dessert. I have and love my espresso machine but I am fully aware it is not a common household appliance. You can easily substitute a shot of espresso with some strong coffee, espresso powder for baking, or even some extract. Fresh coffee will always taste better, but you’re just looking to get a little flavor. You could certainly use decaf as well if you need to sleep at night (the amount of caffeine is likely pretty low in a serving though).
One of the common additions to a cappuccino is a dusting of cocoa powder, and tiramisu dessert is no different. I suggest looking for a dutch processed cocoa powder. Dutch process treats the cocoa with an alkalizing agent that gives it a milder taste. This is what I use in my baking and mochas, and what I recommend, but certainly not necessary. I use a little dusting shaker that helps give an even cover of powder.
Lastly, marscapone cheese is the traditional way of making this dessert. If you can’t find it or want to save a little money, you can certainly swap it with traditional cream cheese. It’s pretty much the same just with some subtle flavor and texture differences. The marscapone cheese won’t get as creamy as cream cheese, but both work wonderfully.
Be sure to check out some of my other keto desserts while you’re here. Thanks!
Keto Tiramisu Sundae
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sweetener Lakanto
- 2 oz espresso or strong coffee
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sweetener Lakanto
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz marscarpone cheese
- 1 scoop Enlightened Coffee & Cream Ice Cream
- Cocoa Powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 cake pan with parchment paper. Other size pans may work as well, but you'll get varying degrees of thickness to the cake.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together sour cream, butter and granulated sweetener until smooth. (3-4 minutes)
- Add espresso, eggs & vanilla then whisk to combine (1 minute).
- Add almond flour, baking paowder and salt. Mix on med-low till fully combined and relatively smooth (1-2 minutes).
- Transfer cake batter to lined cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completetly.
- While cake is cooling, add heavy whipping cream to a chilled mixing bowl and whip to stiff peaks. Add vanilla and sweetener then whisk to combine (5-10 seconds). Transfer whipped cream to a prep bowl.
- In the mixing bowl, add marscapone cheese and whisk till mostly smooth (2-3 minutes).
- Fold whipped cream into marscapone cheese. I find using half of the whipped cream at a time works best.
- Removed cooled cake from pan and place on a flat surface or cutting board. With a sharp knife slice the cake into two layers. You can also create "lady finger" sizes or I used a cookie cutter for round shapes.
- Place the first layer of cake in a serving. Cover the layer with cream filling and a dusting of cocoa powder. Add second layer of cake and repeat with more cream filling.
- Finally, serve with a scoop of Enlightened Keto Coffee & Cream ice cream and additional cocoa powder.