I used this recipe as part of my keto eggnog cheesecake, but it’s perfectly delicious on it’s own. Whip up a batch of this fresh keto eggnog and add a splash of rum or bourbon for some extra holiday cheer.
As a kid, I would buy cartons of this stuff from the store and drink myself sick with it. Now as an adult, with much more discerning tastes, the carton stuff is still the best! But… it’s full of sugar, so that won’t do. Turns out making your own is actually quite simple. Eggnog is essentially milk and eggs, so it’s an easy drink to prepare for your holiday get togethers. Admittedly I’m not much of an alcohol drinker but Eggnog is a prime holiday drink to spike. What is merrier than a room full of boozed up people during the holidays (okay don’t answer that)?!
The trick to a smooth eggnog is to slowly temper your egg yolks into your warmed cream. This prevents the eggs from cooking and making the drink clumpy. If it does clump up, have no fear, you can simply strain the nog through a sieve to remove any that form. So it’s pretty much fool proof.
…you’ll have a very merry Christmas, especially with a splash of rum or bourbon to help you on your way.
You can use the leftover egg whites to whip into a topping for the drink, or you can simply leave it out, but the presentation is beautiful. Sprinkle the top with a little nutmeg and you’ll have a very merry Christmas, especially with a splash of rum or bourbon to help you on your way.
Keto Spiced Eggnog
- 4 cups preferred nut milk
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Holiday cheer rum or bourbon
- Heat 2 cups of nut milk in a saucepan over medium heat until warm.
- Separate egg yolks from whites (reserve whites for later use as a topping) then slowly whisk powdered sweetener to egg yolks until fully incorporated.
- Temper egg yolks by slowly whisking 1 cup of warmed milk to the yolks. Add yolk mixture back to saucepan.
- Cook over low heat and continue whisking until temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove from heat. Add heavy cream, remainder of nut milk, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Place saucepan in an ice bath to quickly cool the mixture.
- Strain mixture through sieve for a smooth liquid.
- Add some holiday cheer with a splash of rum or bourbon
- OPTIONAL STEP – whisk egg whites to a soft peak to use as topping for eggnog. Garnish with nutmeg.