These keto chili cheese dogs are wrapped in Fat Head dough and then slathered with beef chili and melted cheddar cheese. A classic American food, made low carb.
I had made these keto chili cheese dogs after making a batch of beef chili as part of a weekend meal prep. Pigs in a blanket made with Fat Head dough are fairly common. Add some chili and cheese over the top and you get a new take on the classic.
A classic American food, made low carb
Fat Head dough originated from a 2009 documentary movie of the same name. It’s made with almond flour, mozzarella, cream cheese and egg. There are plenty of variations on the recipe, but the foundations are the same. It comes out with a really good texture which is why it’s so popular and is usually made as a pizza crust. I will say that since it’s mostly cheese, it’s pretty calorie dense. I don’t make it frequently for that reason. It’s really filling though, so one of these keto chili cheese dogs would likely tide you over for a long while.
A trick to making these dogs is to keep the dough fairly then and wrapping the hot dogs with a little space between the dough. When it’s baked the dough will soften and expand. If you use too much dough on a hot dog, it will become heavy and fall off. Also if there is any moisture on the dog, wipe it off with a paper towel. This ensures the dough sticks and won’t slide off. Don’t worry if your hot dogs don’t come out perfectly. You can always use a bit more chili and no one is the wiser.
Keto Chili Cheese Dogs
Fat Head Dough
- 1.5 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce full-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 package sugar free hot dogs
- pre-made chili
- 1 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for one minute.
- Stir in almond flour and salt then microwave an additional 30 seconds.
- Add beaten egg and mix until a dough like texture. You can microwave an additional 15-30 if the dough is too firm.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and, with a rolling pin, roll it out into a rectangular shape.
- Cut 1/2 inch strips (a pizza cutter works great) and wrap hot dogs with dough.
- Place wrapped hotdogs on a parchment lined baking pan and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with chili and cheddar cheese. Diced white onions are also delicious.