Tomatillos and Anaheim peppers are the base for this keto green chile chicken enchiladas with egg white wraps for tortillas.
Mexican food is a staple in our household. Growing up in a West Texas border town we always had some kind of Mexican dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also near New Mexico we’d often take advantage of the green chile’s when they were in season. So green chile is near and dear to my heart.
The trouble is finding New Mexico green chile’s out of season is not an easy task. However, you can take advantage of other options and still create a delicious green chile, including this keto green chile chicken enchiladas dish. Luckily, my local Sprouts Farmers Market carries an assortment of chiles to be able to assemble this sauce. Better yet, I also found these Egglife Egg white wraps there which were the perfect keto option for a tortilla substitute. The wraps are literally just egg whites with xanthan gum so they are pretty much carb free. Pretty awesome right?! Enchiladas are back on the menu for keto meals!
Anaheim peppers are a mild variety of the New Mexico chile pepper. It shares many of the same flavor notes but not nearly as spicy as the original. Often times I’ll simply use the pepper on its own in a sauce, but like to change things up with tomatillos now and again. Tomatillos are a Mexican husk tomato, and give the dish a bright and tangy flavor, which pairs nicely with the rich garlic chicken stock base.
Now since the Anaheim peppers and tomatillo only provide a mild spiciness, I add a jalapeño to the mix to kick up the bite. This is purely optional, but I believe that a chile verde has to have at least some heat! Add one or two jalapeños to the dish if you need the heat like me.
When it comes to assembling the enchiladas, it’s super convenient to pickup some pre-shredded rotisserie chicken. Again, Sprouts has these in their deli section as well as hot rotisserie chickens if you prefer to shred them yourself. Either option saves you from having to cook it yourself. A great time saving option. Grab a wrap, fill it with chicken and cheese and roll it up to smother it in sauce. So easy!
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 lb tomatillos peeled & rinsed
- 2 Anaheim peppers
- 1 jalapeno
- ½ yellow onion quartered
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp red chile powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lb shredded rotisserie chicken
- 12 Egglife Original Wraps 2 packages
- 10 oz Oaxaca Cheese shredded
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Peel and rinse tomatillos. Slice tomatillos in half and place skin side up on sheet. Slice the peppers and jalepeno lengthwise in half, removing the inner seeds, and place on pan. Quarter an onion half and place on pan. Remove outer paper from garlic cloves and place on pan. Drizzle everything with oil and roast in the oven for 35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Peel the skins from the Anaheim peppers. Place the roasted tomatillos, peppers, jalapeno, onion & garlic into a food processor or blender. Add cumin, red chile powder, chicken stock, salt & pepper and blend till smooth.
- Pour green enchilada sauce into a saucepan and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add shredded rotisserie chicken, ½ cup of enchilada sauce and warm through.
- Spoon prepared chicken into an Egglife wrap and roll into enchiladas. Place into a greased casserole dish. Repeat for all 12 wraps.
- Pour the remainder of enchilada sauce over the wraps, cover with shredded cheese and bake in the oven till cheese has melted (about 8-10 minutes). An additional 2 minutes under the broiler will brown the cheese for a beautiful presentation.
- Serve with a fried egg and chopped cilantro for garnish.