It’s worth mentioning that just because it’s keto lasagna doesn’t make it low calorie. This lasagna falls into that category since it’s essentially a block of cheese. But it’s a delicious block of cheese for sure. So if you like cheese, and you like calories, this one’s for you.
Lasagna is one of those comfort foods that is almost universally adored. You’ve got cheese and pasta sauce, how can you go wrong with that? I’ve seen several variations substituting noodles with sliced zucchini or even deli meats, but this one uses cheese and eggs to make the noodles. You get a keto lasagna that is not only delicious, but filling with a small serving.
You’ve got cheese and pasta sauce, how can you go wrong with that?
The noodles are very similar to Fat Head dough, but you’re leaving out the almond flour in this version. This also lowers the overall carb count as long as you’re not heavy handed with the pasta sauce. However, like I mentioned before, you’re making pasta with cheese, so it makes the dish very calorie dense. I would recommend cutting yourself a modest piece so you don’t go overboard with your daily calories. Or, you know… you do you!
Keto Italian Sausage Lasagna
- 4 large eggs
- 9 oz cream cheese softened
- 1.2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2.5 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
For the Filling
- 1 lb ground Italian pork sausage
- 3 cup Rao’s Marinara
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 tbsp ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper
- In a mixer, combine cream cheese and eggs and mix till fully incorporated
- Add Parmesan cheese & Italian seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Fold in mozzarella cheese and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer to the baking pan
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool completely. Cut into noodle sizes.
For the Filling
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown Italian sausage.
- Drain excess fat from pan and add marinara sauce to meat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Assemble the Lasagna
- Pour 1⁄4 cup pasta sauce into bottom the oven safe dish. Top with the first noodle layer
- Layer a third of the sausage mixture. Top with 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese and 3 tbsp ricotta cheese, and cover with another noodle layer. Repeat these steps.
- Cover the top layer with remaining sausage mixture, mozzarella cheese and additional Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes then under the broiler for an additional 2-3 min till brown.