Broccoli and cheese are natural matches. So it would only make sense that broccoli cheese soup is such a popular choice amongst low carb dieters. This keto broccoli cheddar soup has chunks of roasted broccoli florets and topped with a handful of cheddar Moon Cheese in place of crackers.
I’ve loved broccoli cheese soup ever since I was a kid. I’ve actually never attempted to make it though but found it’s really very easy. You start with a flavor base made of diced onions, celery, garlic and thyme. You then simmer the vegetables in chicken or vegetable stock to let the flavors marry. I prefer to give this part some extra time to allow the broth to concentrate, and become extra flavorful. While the broth is simmering, cut a head of broccoli into bite side chunks and roast them in the oven. Then purée the soup mixture, add some heavy cream, cheddar and the roasted broccoli and you’ve got a tasty soup without too much hassle.
These days I tend not to eat a lot of these kinds of soups. I usually prioritize protein in my meals over fats or carbs due to my fitness goals. Broccoli cheese soup definitely fits into the high fat/low carb category, but has virtually no protein save for a small amount from the cream and cheese. So while this soup can be a meal on its own, I recommend having a small bowl accompanied by a main course.
Whenever I do have soup though I love adding a little crunch for texture. This is commonly done with crackers which, as you could imagine, is not keto friendly. So you could use crispy bacon or cheese crisps if you prefer. I just so happened to have a few bags of cheddar Moon Cheese in my pantry that I used as an easy topping. All the crunch, none of the carbs.
Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 tsp thyme chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into florets
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp Xantham gum
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- bacon, cheese crisps or Moon cheese for garnish
- In a large stock pot or sauté pan, add butter and cook the onion and celery with salt & pepper until translucent. Add garlic and thyme and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour to concentrate the broth.
- While soup is simmering, pre-heat oven to 400°F. Roughly chop broccoli head into bite size florets. Place on a foil lined baking pan, drizzle with oil, and bake for 15-18 minutes until tender.
- Transfer soup base to a blender and puree until smooth. Then on low speed, slowly add Xantham gum to soup to thicken. Return soup to pot and add heavy cream and shredded cheese. Stir until incorporated.
- Add roasted broccoli florets to soup and simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve with preferred toppings.