This creamy and spicy keto chipotle pumpkin soup, with warm, Southwest flavors, is garnished with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and crema Mexicana. A delicious bowl of this soup is sure to open your appetite and warm the soul.
Creamy Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
- 2 small pie pumpkins about 3lbs each
- 1 pad pd butter
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pepper canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce two if you like it really spicy
- 5-6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp fresh oregano plus extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons salt more to taste
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Crema Mexicana for garnish thinned sour cream also works
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut pumpkins in half, scooping out pulp and seeds. Lay pumpkins, flat on sheet and bake for one hour. Remove and peel skin.
- Heat a large pan on medium high and melt butter in pan before adding chopped onions. Sauté onions about 3-4 minute. Add garlic, cumin, chipotle and cook for another minute.
- Add pumpkin, chicken stock, oregano and salt then bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in bender to a smooth consistency. Return puréed soup to pan over medium heat.
- Add lime juice and taste adding additional seasonings if necessary. If soup is too thick, add additional chicken stock.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream. Stir to combine.
- Serve with pumpkin seeds, Crema Mexicana and fresh oregano leaves.