A patriotic sweet ketogenic dessert, this berry trifle has fresh strawberries, blueberries and a cheesecake whipped cream.
Holidays are typically the most challenging times when sticking to a ketogenic diet. You’re often tempted by all the sweets and non-keto friendly items that are synonymous with parties and holidays. My trick is to go into these days prepared with foods friendly in your diet. Usually it’s something simple like a piece of chocolate or a few keto cookies. However, if you’re still wanting a simple dessert that takes no time to make, this keto berry trifle is a sure hit for your Independence Day.
Fresh berries are a great sweet treat that still keeps it low carb. I found the longer you adhere to a low carb diet you find that the natural sweetness in berries to be more pronounced. As you become accustomed to eating less sugar, your taste buds grow more sensitive to sweetness. This is great for enjoying things like strawberries and blueberries as suddenly these become little flavor bombs which are much more enjoyable to consume.
I always recommend grabbing organic berries if the budget allows. My rule is if I’m consuming produce without a removable skin, I choose organic which are free of pesticides and often taste much better! Luckily I’m able to to find the sweetest tasting berries at my local Sprouts Farmers Market. They carry fresh organic berries both in and out of season. Finding healthy produce such as these strawberries and blueberries will only make your dishes that much more enjoyable to eat.
Finally, a whipped cream and cream cheese filling, that is reminiscent of cheesecake, is the perfect “white” to your red & blue. It’s super easy to prepare since it’s just a few ingredients. I often make a batch of it just to keep in the fridge for when the urge strikes.
So be sure to visit your local Sprouts Farmers Market to celebrate your red, white & blue this Independence Day with farm-fresh, and delicious goodness!
Red, White, & Blue Berry Trifle
- 16 oz Whipping Cream
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temp
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp powdered sweetener e.g. Swerve or Lakanto
- 32 oz Strawberries sliced
- 18 oz Blueberries
- Prepared Cheesecake Whipped Cream
- Whisk 16oz heavy cream in a mixer until you reach soft whipped peaks. Add 4tbsp powdered sweetener and 1tbsp vanilla extract then whisk an additional 10-20 seconds to combine. Remove whipped cream from bowl and set aside.
- Into the mixing bowl, add 8oz softened cream cheese and whip till smooth (1-2 minutes).
- In batches, fold whipped cream back into the cream cheese preserving the fluffy consistency.
- Carefully layer your preferred vessel with alternating layers of sliced strawberries, blueberries and cheesecake whipped cream. Top with additional berries.