This one pan, oven roasted rosemary lemon chicken is a bright & tangy option with low effort and big taste.
A lot of days we just need an easy meal to get dinner on the table effortlessly. These times you’re often sacrificing food quality (e.g. fast food) or flavor. One of the challenges of adhering to a ketogenic diet is consistency, so having some go-to easy meals is important for success. The great thing about this meal is that it can be prepared days in advanced and tossed on a pan to be ready in 30 minutes. Even better, the preparation takes less than 10 minutes!
Using quality ingredients is important with the food that I prepare and eat. Whenever possible I recommend using the freshest produce available as they will provide you with a lot more flavor. Lemons, rosemary, shallots and garlic are also easily accessible and inexpensive. When it comes to the chicken, I prefer using bone-in when roasting as it helps keep the meat juicy and lock in the flavors when marinating. When it comes to protein options it’s important to me that they are free from hormones and antibiotics. This is why I prefer to shop at my local Sprouts Farmers Market. Not only do they carry super fresh produce but I know their meats are always free from added hormones and additives. Not to mention that I love roaming the aisles looking for new keto friendly options (they always have the newest products available)!
A few notes on the ingredients for this Rosemary Lemon Chicken. As mentioned above, bone-in chicken with skin will provide the most flavor. In addition, the legs and thighs are also fattier and will provide more flavor. Good healthy fats are important in a ketogenic diet so I recommend dark meat options when available. And if you’re looking to save a few more pennies, buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself!
Rosemary Lemon Chicken
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 whole shallot minced
- 5-6 fresh rosemary sprigs chopped, about ⅔ oz
- 5 lemons
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken with skin
- Prepare marinade by stirring together ¾ cup olive oil, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 2 tsp kosher salt, 5 minced garlic cloves, 1 minced shallot, 5-6 chopped rosemary springs, and the juice of two lemons. Combine with chicken in a resealable bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 425°F and empty chicken with marinate onto a rimmed baking sheet. Cut three additional lemons in half and place onto baking sheet with chicken. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn the broiler to high and allow the chicken to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.