Crispy Parmesan Frico cheese crisps sprinkled with fennel seeds and topped with Uncured Genoa Salami
These crispy, baked cheese crackers are an easy addition for your next cocktail party or family gathering. With the holiday’s in full swing, keeping things keto can be challenging. With temptations from sweets and comfort foods, having an easy but delicious option when entertaining keeps you on track.
You can find packaged cheese crisps on store shelves, but I guarantee that fresh baked ones will be ten times tastier. Not only can you you able to use fresh cheese but a higher quality cheese will blow the packaged ones out of the water. Plus you can mix up different options. I’ve found that hard cheeses such as Parmigiano Reggiano work best but there are certainly plenty of other options such as Grana Padano, Pecorino, Cheddar, Gruyere, and Emmental, just to name a few. You can find all these tasty cheeses at your local Sprouts Farmers Market. I love shopping there around the holidays so I can make the tastiest creations with their freshest ingredients.
You can certainly eat these cheese crisps on their own but adding a little extra flavor and panache will make them a hit as an appetizer. I mixed in some whole fennel seeds and topped them with Applegate Natural’s Natural Genoa Salami. They are made using a traditional Italian recipe with just a hint of garlic. Paired with the anise-like flavor of the fennel and the nutty parmesan cheese, it’s a wonderful, well rounded flavor profile. FYou can always swap out your favorite cheese or deli meat for a variety of flavors.
Parmesan Frico with Salami
- 8 tbsp finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 tbsp whole fennel seeds
- 8 slices Applegate Uncured Genoa Salami
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop 8 mounds of Parmesan cheese onto parchment paper, spreading the cheese about 3” wide and spaced about 1” apart.
- Sprinkle a pinch of fennel seeds onto each cheese mound.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes until edges of cheese begin to brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Top with Applegate Uncured Genoa Salami and enjoy!