Oven roasted pumpkin with fresh ginger blended to a smooth & creamy consistency and topped with sour cream and roasted pumpkin seeds.
The arrival of fall means cooler weather, warmer dishes and seasonal harvest options like pumpkin and squash. Sure, you can always get pumpkin in a can (there’s something to be said about convenience), but a freshly roasted pumpkin will have so much more flavor and elevate your dishes to the next level.
I began seeing seasonal fall produce showing up at my local Sprouts Farmers Market in early September and it instantly put me in the mood for comfy meals like this keto roasted pumpkin ginger soup. Both pumpkin and squash are familiar fall harvest options and can be readily swapped in this recipe. I’m partial to the flavors of pumpkin, but feel free to swap it out with a winter squash of your choosing. However, if you’re trying to keep your carbs low, pumpkin will still be your best choice (~7nc per half cup serving of raw pumpkin). Together with the onions and heavy cream in this recipe, this will likely be a higher carb count option, so I’d suggest keeping the portion size small (a cup) and having it as a side dish.
Ginger also gives this dish a warm and distincitve flavor. I personally love the flavor of ginger as it gives a bit of a bite to the dish. If you’re not a fan of ginger you can reduce the amount by half or even try my Creamy Chipotle Pumpkin Soup which is more of a southwestern style soup.
Either way, I highly suggest taking advantage of the seasonal produce varieties found at your local Sprouts. It’s a great way to usher in the season, and you can also keep a pumpkin or two as decoration until you’re ready to make them into this roasted pumpkin ginger soup or even pumpkin pie!
Roasted Pumpkin Ginger Soup
- 1 small pie pumpkin about 3lbs
- 1 pad butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 50 g fresh ginger root chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 16 oz chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1 tbsp brown sweetener (e.g. Lakanto Golden monkfruit sweetener).
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Sour cream thinned with water
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut pumpkins in half, scoop out the pulp and seeds and rub all over with oil. Lay pumpkins, flat on sheet and bake for one hour. Peel skin from pumpkin flesh, discarding the skin.
- Heat a large pan on medium high and melt butter in pan. Add diced onions, chopped ginger and sauté for 3-4 minute. Add garlic, cumin, cinnamon and cook for another minute.
- Add pumpkin, chicken stock, salt, sweetener then bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in a blender to a smooth consistency. Return puréed soup to pan over medium heat.
- Add heavy cream and bring up to temperature. Taste and season with additional salt or sweetener if necessary.
- Serve with sour cream that has been thinned with a little water and garnish with roasted, salted pumpkin seeds.